To Zero and Beyond!
The Net-Zero Energy Coalition convened the second Net-Zero North American Leadership Summit from March 3–5 as part of NESEA’s blockbuster BuildingEnergy15 conference. Summit participants gathered to share experience and collaborate on strategies to accelerate the development of net-zero energy buildings and communities across the continent. Kicked off with an inspirational address from Massachusetts State Senator Jamie Eldridge, the Summit created dialogue among federal, state, and city officials, major utilities, non-profits, education institutions, and building professionals. Approximately 50 net-zero leaders convened in the final workshop and committed to three key collective action initiatives:
- Increasing awareness across the US and Canada about the benefits of zero-energy communities and zero-energy-ready housing
- Preparing the workforce to deliver these high-performance projects, and
- Developing a clearinghouse of information related to NZE policy, finance, design, and technology.
These initiatives will support Summit attendees’ shared goal of faster movement towards a positive energy future (pun intended!).
Case Study Database
How many residential net-zero buildings are in North America? This is our most frequently asked question, and we are finally going to answer it. NZEC is launching a major effort to collect case studies from across the continent and make them available via the ZNE database recently unveiled by NESEA. We will collect known case studies from project teams within our network. This collective impact initiative will create an invaluable resource for sharing knowledge and catalyzing the market.
We need your help in making this a success! Help out by:
- Listing your ZNE projects in our online form – just basic information, about 1 minute per project!
- Spreading the word to your mailing lists and network.
- If you don’t have enough details for the form, email me contacts for any residential ZNE projects you know about: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also sign up for the NZE Coalition’s newsletter to learn more and get the final report.
Ann Edminster, M.Arch., LEED AP, is a consultant and recognized national expert on green home design and construction.
Enter your comments in the box below:
(Please note that all blog entries and comments are subject to review prior to posting.)