Building Science 201: Combustion
The more we understand about combustion appliances, the better we can serve the houses we work in.
The presence of lead-based paint in older multifamily housing is a major public health concern. Dealing with these lead hazards offers opportunities for improving not only the health of the occupants but also the energy performance of the units. [continue reading]
Exhausting heat and moisture in the summer can keep a house cooler and reduce air conditioning costs. And running a fan whenever someone is cooking will eliminate most water vapor, grease, and combustion products from the kitchen. [continue reading]
"Sick building syndrome" is caused by everything from dangerous molds to meteorological occurrences. Improving the indoor air quality of these buildings calls for careful diagnostics and even more careful removal of and repairs to problem areas. [continue reading]
A colorless, odorless, flavorless, nonirritating gas, carbon monoxide (CO) causes more poisoning deaths today than any other substance. [continue reading]
Flaking paint and paint dust from old windows is a potential source of lead hazard. To eliminate the hazard of lead paint you can either remove the paint or remove the window. [continue reading]
Carbon Monoxide (CO) can creep into living spaces and cause a variety of health problems, sometimes even death. While old or poorly maintained gas furnaces and other older appliances are often the sources of CO, new heating appliances also cause CO problems. [continue reading]
The other day I went to the building supply store looking for materials for my kitchen remodel. [continue reading]
You can tell how long someone’s been in a particular industry by their mastery of the acronyms. I ...
Multi Family Weatherization Resource Guide by the Association for Energy Affordability, Inc., 2012, New York is a tool for ...