The Formaldehyde Threat
Keeping healthy indoor air quality was as important in 1984 as it is today. Unfortunately, formaldehyde is still a threat to homeowners.
The other day I went to the building supply store looking for materials for my kitchen remodel. [continue reading]
Last winter, in Oregon's Willamette Valley, a family was spending their first season in a new custom colonial-style house. [continue reading]
Residential energy auditors commonly find problems caused by dust and other airborne particles in forced-air heating and cooling systems. [continue reading]
All houses and apartments need an efficient way to exhaust stale, moist indoor air and introduce outdoor air. [continue reading]
There are few areas of residential construction that are so commonly misunderstood as air movement within and through houses. [continue reading]
Traditionally, few people have considered gas ovens to be a major source of carbon monoxide (CO), even though all their exhaust products are often vented directly into the indoor air of a residence. Yet unvented space heaters with a similar output of combustion gases have been banned in many states because of indoor air quality (IAQ) dangers inherent in their use. [continue reading]
Heating contractors, inspectors, and energy auditors all have different approaches to inspecting combustion appliances. Combustion problems come in various sizes and shapes, and individual tests may not by themselves prove if the house is actually safe. [continue reading]
Along with this blog, Carmel Building & Design is introducing the first in a series of videos that ...
Shawna Henderson, reporting from way out here on the edge of the world. Well, from Nova Scotia, Canada, just outside ...