Transfer Grilles: What Are They?

January/February 2006
A version of this article appears in the January/February 2006 issue of Home Energy Magazine.
Click here to read more articles about House Doc
January 01, 2006
Q. I have a question for Doug Garrett, the author of “Beware the Closed Bedroom Door,” which appears on the Home Energy Web site, in the Do It Yourself section. Could you please explain transfer grilles and where I can purchase them?                 A. According to the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) Manual T:Air Distribution Basics, “Transfer grilles can be used to combine isolated rooms or zones into a single larger return zone which can be served by a single return inlet.” In other words, they are used to connect rooms without return grilles to rooms (or zones) with return grilles so the air can easily flow back to the unit. Often this is a lot easier than running a return duct all the way back to the unit! To see why allowing this to happen is critical, read Home Energy’s past articles on the subject. (Search magazine archives at         By the way,ACCA mentions that you could undercut the door by 1 inch for each 60 CFM. This would mean roughly a 6-inch ...

To read complete online articles, you need to sign up for an Online Subscription.

Once an order has been placed there is an automatic $10 processing fee that will be deducted with any cancellation.

The Home Energy Online articles are for personal use only and may not be printed for distribution. For permission to reprint, please send an e-mail to

Earn BPI CEU credits
Home Performance with EnergyStar
SPONSORED CONTENT Home Diagnosis: The First TV Series about Home Energy! Learn more! Watch Video
Email Newsletter

Home Energy E-Newsletter

Sign up for our free monthly

Harness the power of

Get the Home Energy