Help Home Energy Magazine Go Digital
Thousands of homes waste energy every day. Energy is wasted because there are small cracks and leaks in walls, doors, windows, and ceilings, which make a home too hot or too cold for its occupants. In response, homeowners and renters turn up their air conditioners and heaters. Who can blame them? We all want to live in comfortable homes. By doing this, however, they are also heating or cooling the air that’s leaving their home.
And it’s a big problem:
- American homes and businesses collectively pay for $130 billion worth of wasted energy.
- Homes account for about one-fifth of the United States’ total annual energy demand.
- Heating and cooling the interior of our homes consumes the largest portion of residential energy (approximately 44%).
Wasting energy at home increases utility bills, strains the power grid, and contributes to CO2 emissions.
It doesn’t have to be this way! If all of these homes were insulated and air sealed properly, we wouldn’t waste as much energy, and we could save billions of dollars.
That’s why Home Energy magazine exists.
Why Home Energy Matters
We’re a nonprofit magazine dedicated to spreading factual and objective information on green, efficient home building and renovation. In this way, we help home energy auditors, contractors, and builders (the people who fix the leaks/holes mentioned above) create homes that are energy-efficient, comfortable, healthy, and affordable.
In the current political climate of government shutting down science, we feel strongly that we are an independent, trustworthy voice for the science of home energy use. Our voice is needed now more than ever.
After 30+ years of print publishing, our magazine is facing the same problem as all print media in a digital world. We’d like to keep providing great content to our readership, and to reach new, younger subscribers. We’ll do that by shifting away from printing the magazine, upgrading our website, and becoming a digital publication. Naturally, all of this requires funding.
Where Will Your Money Go?
We need $100,000 to make all of this happen. When you donate, your money goes toward:
- Upgrading our website so that it’s responsive to all mobile devices
- Marketing and promotion of our new format
- Authors who create quality content for our readership
- Our staff who will work with new vendors, create new publication schedules, and manage day-to-day operations
- Putting Home Energy on a sound financial foundation for the future
If you’ve ever read our magazine and found it useful, please donate.
If you love our planet, please donate.
If you want to help a small nonprofit business, please donate. (Bonus: Home Energy magazine is a 501(c)(3) registered nonprofit. That means all donations made to our cause are tax-deductible.)
Every dollar counts, and we truly appreciate anything you can give. That being said, here’s some motivation to give us a little more:
- If you give $50 or more, you’ll get a free copy of our book, No Regrets Remodeling, 2nd Edition
- If you give $1,000 or more, you’ll get a free subscription to our magazine for life
Enter your comments in the box below:
(Please note that all blog entries and comments are subject to review prior to posting.)